A Colorful Dream
Designed to evoke and capture a sense of childhood fantasy, A Colorful Dream tells a simple coming-of-age story in rich symbolic language that takes the viewer on a journey through the entire spectrum of the rainbow.
A Colorful Dream is a family-friendly, interactive exhibition by contemporary fine art photographer Adrien Broom. The exhibit features a suite of photographs, some of them large in scale, detailing a young girl’s journey as she discovers a series of monochromatic fantasy worlds exploring the rich hues and associations that we have with every color in the spectrum. The Huffington Post describes Broom’s photography as “deeply rooted in fairy tales and mythology, reinterpreting figures like Aphrodite and stories like Goldilocks and the Three Bears.”
Over three years in her studio, Broom constructed eight individual sets composed of objects evoking the essence of each respective color. She then photographed a young girl exploring and traveling through each world, passing through small portals that lead her on a journey through a red world, then orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, and lastly a rainbow encompassing all the colors. Encountering creatures, characters, and vivid landscapes, Broom’s protagonist finds worlds lush, joyful, and even sometimes startling.
In looking at the images, it would be easy to mistake the effects as a digital manipulation of the original photograph. In fact, Broom creates each of these worlds by hand, much like a stage production. These images are not put together using photo-editing software, but are the result of hours of crafting tableaux, so what the viewer sees is in fact what was in front of the camera’s lens during the shoot.
In addition to forty photographic images, the exhibition will include time-lapse videos showing the engrossing process of constructing the live sets for the photographs, offering insight into Broom’s creative process and the production required to bring these images to life.
Adrien Broom is a contemporary fine art and commercial photographer living in Brooklyn, New York. Broom’s fine art photography often alludes to themes of childhood fantasy, using young women as protagonists. Her commercial work includes music, fashion, and portrait photography. Trained as a computer animator, she has studied fine art in Florence, Italy, and art history in London, England.
A Colorful Dream will tour November 2020 through October 2025. The dates below reflect seven-week exhibition periods. Dates are subject to change; please contact MoreArt@maaa.org or (800) 473-3872 x208/209 for current availability.
- January 28–March 16, 2021 Provo City Library
Provo, UT booked
- June 16–August 11, 2021 Arts Council of Wichita Falls
Wichita Falls, TX booked
- September 1–October 20, 2021 Mansfield Richland County Public Library
Mansfield, OH booked
- November 10, 2021–January 7, 2022 Centers for the Arts Bonita Springs
Bonita Springs, FL booked
- January 28–March 16, 2022 Del Rio Council for the Arts
Del Rio, TX booked
- April 6–May 25, 2022 Save 50%
- June 16–August 11, 2022 Western Heritage Center
Hobbs, NM booked
- September 1–October 20, 2022 Oklahoma City Community College
Oklahoma City, OK booked
- November 10, 2022–January 7, 2023
- January 28–March 16, 2023 Refurbishment
Kansas City, MO booked
- April 6–May 25, 2023 City of Carlsbad
Carlsbad, CA booked
- June 16–August 11, 2023 Littleton Museum
Littleton, CO booked
- September 1–October 20, 2023 Ypsilanti Public Library
Ypsilanti, MI booked
- November 10, 2023–January 7, 2024
- January 28–March 16, 2024 Converse County Library
Douglas, WY pending
- April 6–May 25, 2024
- June 16–August 11, 2024 Town of Windsor
Windsor, CO pending
- September 1–October 20, 2024 Washington Public Library
Washington, MO pending
- November 10, 2024–January 7, 2025
- January 28–March 16, 2025 Texas A&M
College Station, TX booked
- April 6–May 25, 2025
- June 16–August 11, 2025
- September 1–October 20, 2025
forty-six photographic images and time-lapse videos
Custom-Designed and Built Crates
ExhibitsUSA, Mid-America Arts Alliance
Out-of-Region Rental Fee
In-Region Rental Fee
225 linear feet (minimum)
Number of Crates/Total Weight
2 crates/ 325 lbs
The exhibition is fully insured by ExhibitsUSA at no additional expense to you, both while installed and during transit.